Learn how to grow your own mushrooms and how to design your gardens and forest gardens to maximise fungi production for edible, medicinal and ecological reasons
- Understand the role of fungi in our environment
- Learn to recognise key fungi in our environments
- Understand how we can support key fungi in our gardens and ecosystems
- Recognising harvesting and using highly medicinal Turkey Tail fungi
- Designing our forest gardens to produce substrate that can be used to grow edible mushrooms
- Growing mushrooms on logs (many kinds) and placing them in a good environment until fruiting
- Growing King Stropharia mushrooms on ramial wood chip substrate on the forest floor
- Growing oyster ( pink and grey) mushrooms on corn husks
- Building a small simple passive solar mushroom growing space
About Koanga: The Koanga Institute, the Permaculture Research Institute of Wairoa New Zealand, is well known internationally for producing highly competent and knowledgeable students and teachers. For your benefit, we run multiple courses, offer an extensive searchable knowledge-base, publish high quality books and instruction manuals, have internships, apprenticeships and multiple other learning opportunities in organic living, Permaculture, Thorny Croft animals, appropriate technology and alternative building methods.
The workshops, apprenticeships and internships are for anyone interested in living sustainably, designing their own lives and empowering change in their communities. Koanga Institutes range of leading edge courses impart knowledge and practical skills that will empower you to be more self-reliant and resilient in supporting your family and your local community. These include learning about growing highly mineralized microbially active soil, the basis for nutrient dense food (beyond organic) and holistic health, preparing and acquiring nutrient dense food, many other workshops
Please note: The Workshop will be confirmed two weeks before it begins. If circumstances prevent the Workshop from going ahead, enrolment fees will be refunded in full.
Payment Options: We can offer an option for you to pay off the Workshop in installments; providing that the workshop has been paid for in full no later than 2 weeks before the start date. To ask further questions, secure your place or organise payment options please e-mail [email protected]
Cancellation Policy: Students who cancel their place at a workshop with more than three weeks notice will be given an 85% refund, however cancellations after this time can only be refunded 50% of the course fee. Cancellations with less than 48 hours, no refund can be given.