Nitrogen fixer, fast growing tree to 4m (2-3m if coppiced) needing free draining soil, can be coppiced (chop and drop) twice a year in NZ, excellent bee forage in winter early Spring, chicken forage seeds and leaves, shade, firewood, mulch and biochar.
Forest Gardens are orchards designed in such a way so the needs of the heavy bearing heavy feeding fruit trees are taken care of in the design.
We do this by:
- Ensuring no more than 60% of the canopy space is taken up by heavy feeders. We prefer 40%.
- For every square metre of heavy feeder canopy there is 0.8 of a square metre of nitrogen fixer.
- For every square metre of heavy feeder there is 1 comfrey plant.
- You have all seven (7) layers of the forest garden present.
- You have as wide a range of mineral accumulators present.
For more details about this see the Koanga Design Your Own Forest Garden Booklet