Malus baccata is an Asian species of apple known by the common names Siberian Crab Apple, Manchurian Crab Apple and Chinese Crab Apple. It has white blossom and small fruits that are edible raw or cooked but, like most crab apples, are most commonly eaten cooked. Crab apples can also assist in pollination of other apples and are a good support tree.
Forest Gardens are orchards designed in such a way so the needs of the heavy bearing heavy feeding fruit trees are taken care of in the design.
We do this by:
- Ensuring no more than 60% of the canopy space is taken up by heavy feeders. We prefer 40%.
- For every square metre of heavy feeder canopy there is 0.8 of a square metre of nitrogen fixer.
- For every square metre of heavy feeder there is 1 comfrey plant.
- You have all seven (7) layers of the forest garden present.
- You have as wide a range of mineral accumulators present.
For more details about this see the Koanga Design Your Own Forest Garden Booklet