A long-time fan of Kay’s work, when Peta Mathias found out about Koanga’s fundraising mission she wanted to know what she could do to help. Not only will she be introducing Kay in Auckland on the speaking tour, Peta also sent us this recipe for our organic heritage artichokes, alongside our old favourites Florence Fennel and Giant Geniton Apples.
Artichoke, Fennel & Blood Orange Salad with Apple Aioli
(For 4 people)
For the salad:
500g fennel bulbs
4 blood oranges
8 baby artichokes or 1 X 390g tin artichoke hearts in brine
100g black olives
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
cup of fresh mint, torn but not chopped
1. Trim the ends off the fennel bulbs. Cut in half and cut tough hearts out in a V. Slice finely and immediately place in lemon water to prevent browning.
2. Take one orange and zest half of it. Peel it and the others, removing all the pith. Slice.
3. Cut the baby artichokes in half, scrape out the hairy choke with your finger and boil for 10 mins in salted, lemon water. If using tinned artichokes, cut in half and drain well.
4. Remove the olive stones with an olive stoner and sauté them in hot oil for 5 mins.
5. Drain the fennel well and toss gently with the oranges, zest, artichokes, olives, salt, pepper and mint. Pile up on a platter and squeeze lemon juice all over. Serve the apple aioli on the side. A glass of Lombardi Sauvignon Blanc to wash it down with would not go astray.
For the Aioli:
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 egg yokes
1 tsp Dijon mustard
500 ml extra virgin olive oil or 1/2 olive 1/2 vegetable oil
a small tart apple, peeled and diced
1. Mash the garlic and salt salt together with a mortar and pestle.
2. Stir in the egg yokes and mustard with the pestle then gradually add the oil drop by drop.
3. When half the oil is in add a little lemon juice and warm water and continue the stream of oil, stirring with the pestle till all is incorporated. This can be done with a food processor or hand beater.
4. Taste for seasoning and stir in the diced apple.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU