Education for Regenerative Living
Empower yourself with the practical skills to turn your dreams of self-reliance into your reality. We use the Permaculture design process to design and teach solutions for all aspects of our lives and environment. Our guided tours, workshops, permaculture design courses, internships and apprenticeships are all great ways to create your lifestyle or career path in a regenerative way.
A guided tour will give you an overview of the work of the Koanga Institute, covering all aspects of the work we do:-
- Have a really good look around the Koanga Institute, that sits within Kotare Village.
- Look around our seed gardens... see the amazing work of our garden crew.
- See how we clean and process our seeds
- and then look in the seed room and see the treasure...
- We will give you a brief overview of Biointensive gardening
- and Growing Nutrient Dense food production,
- and take you to see at least one food garden here at Kotare Village based on Biointensive and Growing Nutrient dense food principles.
- Explain what a forest garden is and show you around ours
- and also show you our stunning nursery where we grow our heritage fruit trees.
- Finally you will be shown our Urban Garden Research project which is looking stunning three years on from scratch and is built to show how much of a family's nutrition can be grown in 20 sq m.
- You will have a chance to ask questions whilst enjoying the peace and inspiration of this place.
We’re looking forward to seeing you
More information about Education at Koanga Instritute
Here at Koanga Institute we are learning to live simply and in a regenerative way in Aotearoa. We are very aware of how important food is to eco-systems, people, cultures, communities and ultimately our health. The education we provide is our way of actively sharing the knowledge and skills that we are accumulating.
We are committed to:
- Inspiring and supporting regenerative living in New Zealand through education
- Empowering home gardeners to develop efficient gardening skills, build top-soil and improve their health through enjoying their own quality, nutrient dense produce
All workshop prices include meals and tent sites with basic facilities.
Apart from our ‘away’ workshops held each winter (Hamilton this year) all of our workshops, design courses etc are held here at Kotare Village, a fledgling Permaculture Village based on a Community Land Trust model. Koanga Institute is integral to the design and development of the village project which has been on the ground since 2010. It is a huge process setting up a village and as students you experience this reality. Much of the teaching at Koanga is centered around what is happening in the village, as we create the invisible infrastructures of legal shapes, financial shapes and social structures, develop appropriate technology, our water, roading and internet infrastructure and as we begin to move forward with permanent buildings and plantings, the Koanga experience evolves ...these are exciting times to be around. Students often comment on how being included in the life of Kotare Village was an important part of their experience during their time at Koanga.